Busciglio & Sheridan Law Group
Get a Free Initial Consultation

Do semi drivers cause most truck accidents?

Are you slightly nervous every time you pass a semi on the highway or the interstate? The truck dwarfs your car, and you've read all about how the danger is far greater for other drivers when they collide with a semi. You're worried that the driver is going to cause an accident that leaves you with serious, life-changing injuries.

Your worry makes sense on some levels, because it is true that semi drivers tend to be safer than the drivers they hit. The sheer amount of damage a fully-loaded semi can do to a coupe or a convertible is astounding.

That being said, studies have shown that semi drivers are most often not at fault. Other drivers cause those potentially deadly accidents. Some reports have claimed that only 21 percent of semi crashes are caused by truck drivers, with the other 79 percent attributed to other drivers.

So, as long as you drive safely near the semi, odds are that you won't be in a wreck. To do so:

-- Never tailgate.

-- Give the truck plenty of room when merging.

-- Watch out for the truck's blind spots.

-- Pay attention to road conditions; a safe stopping distance in dry weather may not be a safe distance in the rain.

-- Always indicate your own intentions by signaling.

If you are involved in one of the 21 percent of truck accidents that are caused by the truckers, you need to know what legal rights you have. You may be able to seek compensation for pain and suffering, medical bills, disabilities, and much more.

Source: Women In Trucking, "Sharing the Road with Semi-Trucks," Sandy Long, accessed March 24, 2017

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us to Schedule a Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Busciglio & Sheridan Law Group
3302 N. Tampa Street
Tampa, FL 33603

Phone: 813-302-1265
Tampa Law Office Map