Busciglio & Sheridan Law Group
Get a Free Initial Consultation

Man tries to "crawl" away from $70,000 of child support

Tampa parents who have a child support order understand the importance that a monthly check holds. Not only does the check represent support for their child, but also financial stability. There can by many reasons that a parent fails to make a child support payment. Financial hardships or change of circumstances may warrant a modification of the support order. Other times, parents are simply delinquent and slink away from their responsibility to their child.

Recently, a man was apprehended and was found literally attempting to crawl away from making his child support payments. Police were attempting to execute a warrant for the man because of more than $70,000 in missed and past-due child support payments. Officers went to the man's work, and when the man saw the officers, he got low to the ground and began to crawl down a set of stairs. Officers saw the man crawling and he was arrested when the police found him hiding in the basement. The man was also charged with obstruction of service of process.

If you have a valid child support order in place, and the paying parent is delinquent or frequently misses payments, there are a number of legal steps you can take in order to be compensated. In 1984, the Child Support Enforcement Act was put into place, which allows district attorneys to assists parents who are trying to collect child support. If a parent fails to cooperate with the district attorney, the court can impose a number of penalties on the parent, in an attempt to get them to make the payments. Such penalties include but are not limited to seizing property, garnishing wages, suspending business, occupational or drivers' licenses and withholding tax refunds. As a last resort, the court can hold the parent in contempt of court and order a jail term.

When child support payments are missed, both the parent and child suffer. Payments can ensure both financial stability and peace of mind. If you are owed child support, and not receiving it, an attorney can evaluate your case and help discuss the legal options available to you.

Source: Huffington Post, "Steven Jones Child Support: Maywood Deadbeat Dad Tried To Crawl Away, Hide From Cops," March 31, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us to Schedule a Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Busciglio & Sheridan Law Group
3302 N. Tampa Street
Tampa, FL 33603

Phone: 813-302-1265
Tampa Law Office Map