Understanding Florida's Wrongful Death Laws

When a loved one suffers a fatal accident, legal action is not top of mind for many people. However, it is important to speak with a lawyer sooner rather than later. Wrongful death claims typically have a two-year statute of limitations from the date of death.

Failing to act before the statute of limitations expires could leave you without the compensation needed to ease the financial burden you may be facing. At Busciglio & Sheridan Law Group, we take the time to guide you through the legal process and will take the necessary steps when working to recover damages.

Which Accidents Are Wrongful Deaths?

In order for a fatal accident to be ruled a wrongful death, the death must have been caused by "the wrongful act, negligence, default or breach of contract or warranty of any person." This law also applies to accidents that occur on navigable waters.

We have worked with clients throughout the Tampa area recover compensation for wrongful death incidents involving:

Who Can File A Wrongful Death Lawsuit?

The only person who can file a wrongful death lawsuit in Florida is the personal representative of the decedent's estate. The personal representative must file the lawsuit on behalf of a survivor of the decedent. A survivor may apply to:

  • The spouse, children or parents of the decedent
  • Blood relatives or adoptive siblings who are partly or wholly financially dependent on the decedent

What Damages Can Be Recovered?

Damages from a wrongful death lawsuit may be recovered and paid directly to the decedent's survivors or to the decedent's estate. We have worked closely with decedents' survivors to recover compensation for damages, including:

  • Lost current and future wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Medical and funeral expenses
  • Loss of companionship

Compassionate Representation To Help You Move Beyond A Fatal Accident

Work with attorneys who will strive to recover fair compensation to help ease the financial burden of losing a loved one. Call our office at 813-302-1265 or send our firm an email to discuss your case with our attorneys.